Minutes – August 2017

August 21, 2017

President Anne Pendrak presided and called the meeting to order. A quorum was attained. Introduction were made.

Present were: Karin Grosshans, Michael Maslaney, Barbara Pleasant, Kamala Bauers, Jayn Avery, Amie Slate, Ellie Roe, Anne Pendrak, John Hopkins, Cathy Hershfield, and Dede McGrath.

Minutes: The minutes of July 17, 2017, were approved as corrected. Minutes should read: “County Fair 2017” not 2018.

Treasurers’ Reports:

General Fund: Treasurer Barbara Pleasant reported the balance for the general fund account is $4845.36. The invoice for the survey was paid out. Barbara indicated that the pending invoices listed on her report were changed as Wills Ridge donated a portion of the supplies to $237.42 (see Trails update below). Corrections will be reflected in next month’s report. Barbara’s report is attached and incorporated by reference.

Unfinished Business:

Dodd Creek Trail Report: Mike Maslaney reported that he had gone to the recent Rec Authority meeting. The easement and the survey are back. David Larsen had only one restriction – no horses. The easements are approved and ready for signatures and filing.
Mike Shortt will be bringing in more dirt to fill in the top of the ridge and cleaning up the trail on the ridge in the near term. Cost estimate for 3 loads of dirt and grading is $750. We have 8 bales of hay still waiting for spreading; grass seed needs to be spread – Mike is looking at a rye mixture; the Rec Authority has trustees and Community College workers available to us to help with trail cleaning and work.

The Rec Authority approved installing two “doggie station” – one at each end. A brief discussion followed regarding who was responsible for the up-keep and emptying of the station; it was determined that the Rec Authority would be responsible and the station would be emptied at the same time as the rest of the park trash. Ellie reported that Susan Icove wants to donate a doggie station for the Lineberry Park; it is estimated that a basic station is approximately $275. Dede indicated that she would contact Linda Johnson about the Dodd Creek station; Linda was liaison for a group that approached the Rec Authority in the past for a dog park.

The Town has allotted $2500 to the trail and will cover the attorney fees. The Town expressed an interest in PFF working on the Library trail in the spring and possibly returning to work on the park itself at a later date as the Town is still interested in creating a playground for the park.

The Rec Authority approved the trail signs; a pdf of the survey plat is available; Dustin has taken care of the bank signature cards for the escrow account; PFF has $125 from the remains of the trails fund to deposit into the new escrow account.

Wills Ridge reduced the cost of the fencing material as a donation; John Lewis did $3000 of in-kind work for the plat survey; and Mike Shortt has donated much of his excavating work. Future costs anticipated are for more fencing, grass seed, etc.

A motion was made, seconded, and passed to allot up to $1000 for trail excavating, grading, and other work. The invoice for Mike Shortt for dirt/excavating will be paid.
A discussion was held regarding an opening ceremony of the trail. The Rec Authority would like to do a ribbon cutting; it was determined to let the Rec Authority coordinate this.

Ellie suggested starting a program where people/organizations could purchase a trail bench or tree for the trails. PFF would offer a limited style that could be chosen from. Mike will discuss idea with the Rec Authority; possibly have Bill Graffe of Phoenix Hardwoods design a bench for us.

County Fair 2017: The County Fair is September 9th from 10 am – 4 pm. PFF will have two booths: one game booth and one vendor booth. A discussion was held on prizes and sale items. It was decided that PFF would furnish some of their own prizes; the Tourism Office will have some of the inflatables available for grand prizes and we will provide the lesser prizes for our booth. It was decided to sell coffee and tea; cost $1 per cup. Ellie will coordinate volunteer times; Dede coordinate the game booth supplies, equipment, canopies, etc.

A motion was made, seconded, and passed to allot up to $300 for prizes; Dede will purchase. John will put together a PFF information brochure/membership form; Liz will make name badges; Jane will check on the location of the banner.

New Business:

Preserve Floyd Project: Jane Avery of Preserve Floyd presented a proposal for Sustain Floyd, Preserve Floyd, and PFF to come together to help with a student school project to replace the coal furnaces at the high school. The school wants to both replace the furnace and install a heat pump system for heating and air conditioning. Jane invited member of PFF to come to the Supervisor’s meeting on August 22nd at 7:00 pm. The goal of the project is to get the new systems installed by or before the time the student leader of the project, Archer Berzin, graduates (approx. 4 years).



Meeting was adjourned. Next meeting will be Monday, Sep. 18, 2017, at 6:30 pm at Wall Residences.

Respectfully submitted,
Dede McGrath
Recording Secretary