Minutes – August 2015

PARTNERSHIP FOR FLOYD

MONTHLY MEETING

August 17, 2015

Vice-President Mike Maslaney presided and called the meeting to order. A quorum was attained.

Present were: Jane Cundiff, Ellie Roe, Jean Mello, Ralph Roe, Michael Maslaney , Barbara Pleasant, Jack Wall, Karin Grosshans, John Hopkins, Par Sharkey, and Dede McGrath.

Minutes: The minutes of July 20, 2015, were approved as written as amended. The motion to pay the Wills Ridge bill was inadvertently left out. The following was added to the Trails report: “A motion was made, seconded, and approved to pay the PFF portion of the trails supply cost, up to $400, to Wills Ridge.”

Treasurer’s Reports:

General Fund: Treasurer Karin Grosshans reported the General Fund balance is $6831.43. The check to the Merchants and Businessmens Association for $100 for the donation to the 4th of July fireworks has been written, but not yet sent. We are still awaiting the bill from Eco-Village for EarthDay. Karin’s report is attached and incorporated by reference.

County Professional Support Fund: Treasurer Karin Grosshans reported there was no activity in the County Professional Support Fund; the account balance remains at $47.50.Karin’s report is attached and incorporated by reference.

Old Business:

Trails: Mike reported that there has developed a problem with the Library-Park pathway . Ross Snead is not happy that the trail goes over a portion of Old Hensley Rd; he indicated that Will Griffin said it would not open onto Old Hensley Rd; there is an issue of safety for pedestrians on the road. The Town owns the road. Mike reported on several possibilities to correct the issue: 1) widen Old Hensley; 2) obtain an easement through more of the Burris property along the road ; 3) obtain an easement further onto the Burris property; 4) see if the Burris’ will sell a portion of their property along the road. A discussion followed. It was decided to wait to hear from David Burris. The trail can still be used in the meantime.

The library hill still need some kind of steps, possibly made from railroad ties or telephone poles. Mary Wiley had indicated she had some railroad ties. Mike will follow up.

Mike reported that Wills Ridge donated approximately $386 in trail supplies; the Town and PFF split the remaining $354.38 with PFF paying $177.38 and the Town to pay $177.

It was decided to hold on signs for the trail and other trail planning until the road issue can be corrected. The Town-to-School Trail was discussed; John will research to see who we need to contact for easements.

Bike Trail: Ralph reported that Paul Sutherland was unable to meet with us. Ralph also reported that Randall Wells had given him all his information on trails research in Floyd (email attached). Pat Sharkey reported there is interest in a bike trail in Floyd and there may be tourism and marketing grants available. John Hopkins reported that there was no new information on the Beaches to Biuegrass proposed Virginia State trail. One area that would be of concern is between Buffalo Mtn and Indian Valley where the trail has to go on Rt 221. The road would need to be widened to ensure the safety of the bikers . Interest has been expressed by the state legislators of adding bike lanes to the parkway .

Park Planning Committee Report: John reported that the spill-over of people in the street during Friday Night Jamboree is becoming more of an issue. The Town would like to have the crowds move down into the park, as this was the purpose of the park . He indicated the Sheriff’s office may re-institute a Bike Patrol. Currently lighting is an issue for using the park at night.

Mike reported that he had presented the idea of the “Shade Awnings” in the park; the Town was receptive to the idea. He will follow up.

Ellie reported that she had not heard from Steve Arthur ; Jack reported that he had spoken to Steve and he was still interested in the tractor project, but he was busy at this time. There was no new information on the Spin Pole project.

New Business:

None

Announcements:

None

Meeting was adjourned . Next meeting will be Monday, September 21, 2015, at 6:30 pm at Wall Residences. 

Respectfully submitted,
Dede McGrath
Recording Secretary

 

Advertisements