Minutes – January 2017

PARTNERSHIP FOR FLOYD

MONTHLY MEETING

January 16, 2017

Vice-President Mike Maslaney presided and called the meeting to order. A quorum was attained.

Present were: Amie Slate, Nile Bachmann, Michael Maslaney, Jane Cundiff, Barbara Pleasant, Liz Warriner, Tim Smith, John Hopkins, Jayne Avery, Karin Grosshans, Miriam Brancato, Pat Sharkey, and Dede McGrath.

Minutes: The minutes of November 14, 2016, were approved as corrected.

Treasurers’ Reports:

General Fund: Treasurer Karin Grosshans reported the balance for the General Fund is $7100.73; remaining trail funds are $120.21. Karin deposited the money from the County Fair booth and dues collected. She reported that the SCC annual fee of $25 will be due the end of January and the insurance ($500) is due so also.

Old Business:

Park Report: Barbara reported that not much has been done due to the Town having to put some of the bigger work projects, like the terracing, out for bids.

Dodd’s Creek Trail Report: Mike Maslaney reported that the Letter of Understanding (LOU) was worked on by various members and finalized. A copy of the LOU is attached and incorporated by reference. Mike reported that the LOU expires as of January 1, 2019. PFF needs to open an escrow checking account. The LOU allows for PFF to receive the statement while Rec Auth has check writing authority. The account will probably be at Bank of Floyd.
Mike also reported that he walked the trail and that is was very muddy at this time due to the weather and that no straw was put down. John H. reported that some rye grass was sown. Mike reported the Rec auth will be using Jim shortt to work on the easements. The trail still needs work, but we will probably have to wait until spring and then address some of the permanent features in the summer.

Sustain Floyd Film Series: Barbara reported they will be releasing information on the film series and the Wendall Berry film in February.

Health Fair: Jane reported that the Health Fair committee had met and was making progress on the Fair. Her report is attached and incorporated by reference. She reported that we had 29 confirmed booths already and everyone is very excited by the Fair. The Fair is mostly geared toward local Floyd health businesses, but if a need is not available in Floyd, vendors from outside will also be accepted. Jane emphasized the need to keep spreading the word. The Fair is April 1st at the FCHS from 11 am – 3 pm; spaces are still available. Anne will check on the reservation of the gym. Barbara will contact the PE teacher from Willis School regarding her health education program; Pat will check the School health programs; Jane Avery recommended showing a film; the fair is listed on the new PFF website; there will be 3 panel discussions approximately 30 minutes each – still working on topics but pain management and Lymes as potential topics; still need a vendor(s) for food. Next committee meeting is Feb 19th at 3:00 pm at the Library.

First Amendment Celebration: John reported that the 1st Amendment Celebration will be held on Sat, Feb 18th from 2 – 4 pm at the Eco-Village. Celebration will include contest in essays, poems, and song and that monetary prizes will be awarded to both adult and junior/children categories. The winners of the song contest will also win record studio time to record their songs. PFF members will be needed to help out the day of the event.

Christmas Parade Float: Jane reported that the parade float went well and we will probably participate again next year. We will need to provide PFF information to the parade committee next year so they can properly announce our float.

New Business:

Board/Officer Elections: Dede presented the slates for board members and officers as follows:

  • 4 board members terms are expiring: Jane Cundiff, Karin Grosshans, Jack Wall, and Mike Maslaney; all 4 have agreed to serve again. The board currently has 2 open seats. Tim Smith and Liz Warriner were nominated and agreed to serve in these seats. One board member (John Beegle) was dropped from the role citing lack of time and other obligations leaving 1 open seat on the board. A motion was made, seconded, and approved for the slate of board members for election/re-election be accepted as presented.
  • All officers agreed to serve in their officer roles again with the exception of the Treasurer, Karin Grosshans. Barbara Pleasant was nominated and agreed to serve as Treasurer. A motion was made, seconded, and approved for the slate of officers be accepted as presented. 2017 Officers are: President – Anne Pendrak; Vice-President – Michael Maslaney; Recording Secretary – Deirdre McGrath; Corresponding Secretary – Jane Cundiff; and Treasurer – Barbara Pleasant.

Website: Tim Smith reported that he was working on a new website for PFF and had a draft site for review. The site is on a free website host through WordPress. He will finalize the site in the next few days. The new web address is http://www.PartnershipForFloyd.wordpress.com.

Project Floyd: Jane reported that the Project Floyd workday is scheduled for April 29th. Young Life/Project Floyd coordinators are asking organizations to help by providing sandwiches for bagged lunches and monetary donations to help pay for the workday t-shirt for the kids. It might be possible to have the Dodd’s Creek Trail added to the workday projects and have the kids help with trail cleaning/construction.

Announcements:

Women’s March – There will be a Women’s March in Floyd.
Meeting was adjourned. Next meeting will be Monday, February 20, 2017, at 6:30 pm at Wall Residences.

Respectfully submitted,
Dede McGrath
Recording Secretary

Advertisements